"Right from the opening words, readers will find themselves
glued to this fact-filled foray into the fine art of forensics."
Publishers Weekly (starred review)
"This readable book is a fine example of the application of
scientific knowledge to the 'real' world."
School Library Journal (starred review)
"Science lovers will appreciate this book. There are only 175
bone detectives practicing in North America who are 'trained to
extract the most amount of information from the least amount of bone.'
The book follows Dr. Charney who describes the mystery, the mental
and physical processes of discovering the truth about recent murders
or historic personages ranges from the Iceman to Jesse James."
"Show kids a full-color cover photo featuring shelf upon shelf crowded
with skulls, and you're certain to get their attention. The rest of the
book won't disappoint, either. Jackson follows forensic anthropologist
Dr. Michael Charney and his colleagues as they solve an actual case by
developing a physical profile from bones and teeth, reconstructing the
victim's skull, and using clues from fibers and other material to make
The Bone Detectives has also won numerous awards, including:
- An American Library Association (ALA) Best Book
- An International Reading Association (IRA) Teacher's Choice
- A Junior Literary Guild Selection
- School Library Journal "Best Books of 1996" list
- An NCSS - CBC Notable Children's Book in the Field of Social Science
- An NSTA - CBC Outstanding Science Trade Book for Children
- A New York Public Library "100 titles for Reading and Sharing"
- Chicago Public Library "Best of the Best" list
- Society of School Librarians Best Book in Social Studies, grades 7-12
- Pennsylvania School Librarians Association "Best of the Best Top Ten Books for Yound Adults"
Children's Literature Award list
State Book Award Nominations:
- New Jersey Garden State Children's Book Award
- Maine Book Award
- Vermont's Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award
- Pennsylvania Young Readers' Choice Award
- Utah Book Award
- Alabama Emphasis on Reading Award.
Cited in Great Books About Things Kids Love by Kathleen Odean
(Ballantine Books, 2001)